Tuesday, September 9, 2008

yī! èr! sān! sì!



It's been a long time, I shouldn't have left you.  Without a dope beat to step to;  step to, step to step to....  Sorry for the delay on updating this blog, it's been a very busy week!  We have finished moving into our apartment here on campus.  It's actually located in a district of the beautiful city of  Qingdao, called Huangdao.  A bit remote and 20km from the nearest city, its not what we had expected.  The actual coastal city of Qingdao is a little over an hour away, by ferry.  I can't speak for Karen, but I have warmed up to this campus and its surrounding Mom&Pop-markets.  With 25,000 students at this campus location, there are more than enough shops to cater to them all.  Who knew that barbershops were so popular?  There's probably 15+ located on or next to campus.

On the 2nd day we were here, Karen and I met a 2nd year Post-Grad student named Frank.  He was apparently good friends with the American teachers who had occupied our apartment last year.  It was a little strange at first, someone coming over to your apartment and saying he wanted to be friends.  Thank God he did.  Frank has become like our guardian angel, helping us to settle in and understand this country and the place I will call home for the next year.  Hard working, intelligent (Mechanical Engineering Major and teacher), and athletic (pretty dece at Basketball, Ping Pong, and Soccer).. Karen referred to him as quite the catch.  I think someone's got a crush ;)  Seriously, I have to give this little shout out because without him, we would still be lost, I'm sure.

Today is the last day of our freedom from the responsibility of teaching.  Tomorrow at 8:00AM, I will face my first of 4 English writing classes, each with over 40 eager students.  At first, I was frustrated and upset with the curriculum, or should I say - lack thereof.  We met with the foreign teacher faculty,  who laid out their expectations.  Each teacher is required to design and implement a full curriculum; from daily lesson plans, tests, and semester long grading metrics.  We are given no textbooks, no structure, and no materials; just a slap on the ass and a "good luck!"   

After freaking out for a few days,  I acknowledged the true freedom that this situation gives me.  The administration only cares that the students attend class and learn something from this native speaker.  In addition, I learned that as teachers, we have access to Powerpoint in the classroom!  My lesson plans are now image filled, colorful, exciting presentations.  It takes a while at first to create decent material, but it's getting easier.  I will let you know after this week how it was received!

Remember when we used to complain about dorm life in the states?  It's nothing compared to the students' living conditions here.  The students sleep 4 - 6 in a room on bunk beds.  They do not have a kitchen or shower in their building.  The students walk to a communal hot water spout and fill a thermos, to wash their hair or make tea.  There are a few public showering areas on campus, and by the smell walking by - I can only imagine the conditions inside.  And in the winter, to save water and power, students are regulated to 1 shower per week.  But no one seems to complain...  as I understand it, students are accustomed to it and many (if not most) unfortunately came from similar living situations at home.


The incoming Freshman class is required to complete 10 days of intense military training before beginning their university career.  They too get up at 6:30AM from the militaristic bugle blaring.  And by "get up" I mean get out of their dorms.  The floor monitor (like our RA) reports anyone who is in the building past 6:45AM.  All students must get up and begin their day, walking for exercise in the morning, eating breakfast, and beginning class at 8:00AM sharp.  This means that for the past 7 days, the entire Freshman class (5,000+), all dressed alike in uniform, has been training and marching around at the crack of dawn.  So why do I care you ask?

"! èr! sān! !"

Literally 1,2,3,4.. a phrase that I won't mind never hearing again for the rest of my life.  It is seemingly a competition between the regiments of marching students who can yell the cadence the loudest.  Nonstop for 8 hours a day.  Every day.  Did I mention their is an open square next to our living building?  A convenient spot to hold these shouting competitions don't you think?  Yea, they thought so too.

2 comments:

Kim said...

"dece" huh? i thought you were on board with "deece"??

Shakezilla said...

Yi, er, san, si. Er, er, san, si. San, er, san, si. Si, er, san, si...