Thursday, October 9, 2008

Remember What's Important


I am sitting here trying to post another enjoyable blog post, but my heart's not in it. Why is it that God seems to always take the good ones? While he and I weren't as close recently, I was fortunate to know Chris Ebert growing up. He too was active in our high school, and we graduated together in 2001. I remember him as being an energetic and charismatic friend to all. When most high schools can be clicky, Chris was someone who definitely broke the common mold. He was popular, but I do not believe this was because of who his friends were, what sports he played, or what car he parked in the lot. Chris Ebert was liked for how he treated us. Whether you were a close friend or the new kid, Chris would undoubtedly have a positive impact on your life. I regret to say that we had since lost touch, and unfortunately I am now halfway across the world when I heard about this tragedy. But it really got me thinking about what's important...

Today I had the difficult task of returning my students 1st homework assignment, an assignment many completely bombed. After 2 hours of reviewing past lessons and reiterating important topics, I couldn't help but sit down and open up to them. My Chinese students are stressed beyond belief. And not like many of us who knew college related stress.. These students have 8 courses a week, ridiculous amounts of homework, and Semester Finals - whose grades will be determining the students' subsequent placement into higher universities or professions (The final test is worth 70% of the course grade). I don't know if it was part of my personal grieving period, but I decided to have a short talk with my students.

I tried to explain that I understand their stress. The homework and the courses and the mounds of time spent balancing it all. But I think it's crucial to remember what's really important. Each other. Your family and your friends. The relationships you create and cultivate throughout life are what matters most. In 10 years from now, will you remember the grade you got on that assignment in Macro Economics that you stressed for weeks over? Probably not. But you will always cherish those with whom you shared that brief window in time with. It's unfortunate that we so often get wrapped up in our personal struggle through life that we lose sight of this importance. If their ever is a silver lining in such tragedy, hopefully it is that are made aware of how fragile and precious life truly is.  I know that Chris is smiling, knowing his life had such a far-reaching impact on so many people.  Even through his passing, Chris is continuing his positive impact on many of our lives, reconnecting relationships and friends who have lost touch.  These friends will gather, reminisce of the good times and past experiences, and remember Chris for the wonderful person he is.  Chris, our window of time was too brief, but I feel blessed to have shared it with someone like you.

1 comment:

Elle said...

Very well said, Kerstan. I'm so sorry for your loss. I hope you and Karen are doing ok. I love you!